THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

21 August 2013

HUNGRY CATERPILLAR & A BREAK IN TRANSMISSION


My neighbour handed me this monster over the fence yesterday, attached to a dead weed. I put it in the border after photographing it and it had disappeared half an hour later. I think it's an Elephant Hawk Moth caterpillar; I'm sure some of you will be able to tell me one way or the other. What a fabulous creature.







I haven't taken the camera out walking for days now - too busy concentrating on sheep training with Jack. If I stop to take a picture, he could be off and up to mischief. Having said that, he really is an excellent pupil, particularly for a terrier. So these few shots are insects in the garden.....



These next three are pollinating our raspberries - thank you very much..... 




I had both dogs at the vet's yesterday to look at Snippet's infected cheeks and register Jack. Nearly £100 later, I have antibiotics, wormers and flea/tick stuff, plus the consultation for both of them. I had to ask for a carrier bag to carry it all. Here are few pics of them from this week so far. Jack is growing VERY fast.





Snippet in his viewing hole through the hedge to next door's dogs:




We leave for Essex very early on Saturday morning, returning late on Wednesday night. A whistle stop tour through Essex, taking in a wedding in Tilbury and a trip to Walton on the Naze, up to the Cambridgeshire Fens and then back down into East London to see the friends we visited last year who live near the Olympic park. The dogs are being looked after by a friend who will move in for four days and Trigger will be observed by friends who live next to his field. I will be providing them with a big bag of carrots in the absence of his usual feed. I can't really ask them to stand guard, fighting off the madams like I do. So - a break in transmission for a week at least. It will be strange photographing flat land but I'm looking forward to the challenge. Am struggling with what to wear to this wedding. No Bridesmaid's dress provided this time! I bought something about four months ago, which now looks very funereal quite frankly. I'll be trying to blend into the background anyway. Until next time, have a great week and here are my two boys. Oh - I forgot to mention, it's Snippet's birthday today! He's four. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNIPPET. 



32 comments:

  1. Happy Birthday Snip!
    Have a great break Em, I'm sure they'll all be well looked after. Essex eh, bit warmer than here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful close-up shots-- the caterpillar looks like a giant.
    Choosing what to wear is a dilemma. Re your previous post, I'm always the one who is shivering when others think its a fine day. I've learned to do the sort of layers that go on and off easily.
    As for 'dressy' occasions--I like to be noticed--if at all--for blending in! I don't think any of my clothes make a statement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fear that by tying to hide, I may stand out like a sore thumb. Will report when I return....

      Delete
  3. Oh what fabulous fellows ...the whole lot of them , from crawly, winged ~ to furry with tails!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that caterpillar, he's rather handsome. I'd rather poke my eyes out with knitting needles than attend a wedding...heck, I needed a lot of persuasion to attend my own. But enjoy anyway,whatever you wear.
    Jane x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a trial, I agree. I wouldn't bother unless I really liked the person in question!

      Delete
  5. The caterpillar looks like a baby Jabba The Hut !

    Happy Birthday to Snippet
    Give him a belly rub from me.
    Woofs from The Square Ones
    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does, doesn't it? I wouldn't like to meet him on a dark night.

      Delete
  6. Happy Birthday to Snippet :) The caterpillar is incredible looks like Elephant Hawk Moth to me. Have a great break :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for you assurance - it doesn't have as big a 'trunk' as some pictures I've seen so I wasn't sure.

      Delete
  7. Wonderful photos, Em. Your close up pics of the caterpillar show what an amazing little creature it is. I love the pictures of dogs, too, enjoying the sun and Snippet keeping an eye on his neighbours. Happy Birthday to him! Have a lovely break - and hope the weather is good to you in my part of the world!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's usually better in the SE isn't it. For some reason, when we moved down here, I was under the illusion that the SW was balmy.....not so!

      Delete
  8. Happy Birthday Snippet!

    I love the scary eye pattern on the caterpillar. It's there to fool birds into thinking there's a snake in the bush instead of a tasty meal. I'd be a little alarmed myself if I suddenly noticed that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the size of a small snake, so excellent camouflage!

      Delete
  9. Having consulted my new insect book I'm sure it's an elephant hawk moth. Wow what an incredible creature. Enjoy your holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need a good insect book too. One for the Christmas list. Would appreciate your recommendations....

      Delete
  10. Happy Birthday Snippet! A lovely post Em, that caterpillar is beautiful not to mention that gorgeous puppy :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad they don't come in a bigger size!! : )
    Enjoy your holiday!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. He's a lovely puppy
    Shiny and sweet as a nut

    ReplyDelete
  13. I knew that the caterpillar is Deilephila elpenor - one of my best friends did his PhD on the thermoregulation of that sp. a long time ago. But I didn't know the funny English name! So thanks! Lots of lovely photos as usual. I so enjoy this glimpse into your world

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The caterpillar does look elephantine doesn't it? This one's trunk is not as prominent as some I've seen.

      Delete
  14. Wow, those caterpillar pics are amazing and it's nice to see Jack again and see he is growing...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just back and he's grown at least an inch in five days!

      Delete
  15. HAPPY BIRTHDAY SNIPPET! Hope you all have a good time on your travels.

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a super post!
    Happy Birthday, Snippet.
    So glad you are training Jack not to worry the sheep -too much at risk if he caused trouble.
    I hope you enjoy Essex where I grew up.
    A much maligned county with lots of fascinating history.
    I look forward to seeing your photos of it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, it is much maligned. Tilbury, not so beautiful but by the sea was great. Will post soon....

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.