THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

19 May 2014

THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY


Well firstly, apologies for a long absence. It's been a very strange week with massive highs and lows. The day after my last post; the day before my birthday, I stupidly managed to reverse my beloved Polo into a low and, thanks to a jammed headrest, invisible wall. Unbelievably, because of its age, the insurance company considers it a write off and I was almost inconsolable, thinking an enjoyable birthday impossible. The 'ugly' bit in the post title referrs to the state of the near side rear of the car. However, fighting back the tears (pathetic I know), I woke to a new camera from M, 50 white tulips from my mum (above) and, most touchingly, this radio I had seen and liked in John Lewis at Christmas from OB, which he bought with his own money: 


He also made me a beautiful card which I forgot to photograph. I am so lucky to have such a lovely, kind, thoughtful son. I met eight friends for coffee which was really lovely and then had a massage and then lunch with another friend, which M had organised in secret. So sweet of him. I then drove home in my mum's car which she has kindly lent me as the Polo is undriveable.....apparently. I took the dogs out in the beautiful sunshine with my fabulous new camera; a change of allegiance - it's a Nikon. Sorry Fuji. 60 x zoom. I took these with it that day....Stonechats: 



Meadow Pipits:



Very excited about it, especially the zoom and the quality; it's in a different league. Still a bridge camera but a bit more expensive than my Fuji. These are a few more I took that day:




A friend, who had been in on the camera present, said she would love to buy my old one and we arranged to meet on Friday to hand it over. While we were out walking, with me showing her how to use it, my new Nikon came up with a 'battery exhausted' message and proceeded to shut down. It just needs charging, I thought, and enjoyed watching my friend's delight at the Fuji's 30 x zoom. However, later that evening, it became clear that the Nikon was not accepting charge and was completely dead. To cut a long story short, it's a dud and, since then, I have a had no camera. Gutted again. If only I hadn't sold it to my friend so quickly. The likelihood of me having a replacement by the time we leave for Scotland on Saturday morning is close to zero. To add insult to injury, I saw our Cuckoo today in the big Beech tree close to the house and could have got a pretty good shot of it. However, my little compact point and shoot 2 x zoom wasn't cutting it. I'm trying not to get too upset about it and took these with it this weekend in the glorious sunshine.

This flowering grass is everywhere on the moor and, on a positive note, has not been able to capture with either of the two much better cameras:


Our house:


Tormentil everywhere in the grass:


Bluebells in our neighbour's enviable garden:


Welsh Poppy:


Trigger's summer coat is almost completely through.....so shiny and looking so much better than last year:


View from his paddock in the morning sun:


Insects on our neighbour's daisies




Kitchen window sill shadows:


This is NOT the plant that came up in my big pot last year and looks more like a Geum:


Obese slug on granite and lichen:


Unfurling fern:


Jack by the Hedge:


Lady's Mantle:


The beautiful purple Periwinkle I'm encouraging to spread everywhere:


I never show you the garden because it's taken a long time to get the dry shade border to a point where it's presentable. However, I'm going to be brave and show it to you....please excuse the chicken wire - it's there to stop Jack escaping.




Some closer in:





I took these few on the Fuji I think; I'm getting confused. Beautiful open sky:


And landscape of which I never tire:



The lambs are out on the moor now:


I think that's enough for now. Sorry I've been so rubbish but I've felt totally overwhelmed by the car thing added to stuff with my mum and, stupidly, the camera. I feel completely lost without it. So, until next time, here are the dogs looking fantastic - the last picture I took before the new camera died!


57 comments:

  1. Oh Em, what a time of it you've had but then there are the highs, an adorable son, a thoughtful mother, M, your friends. You know, I remember having to reverse up a steep hill years ago, and put my foot on the accelerator instead of the break and reversed into a neighbor's wall. I remember that feeling like it was yesterday. Shaking my head at the thought of it. Well, not to sound too cliche, this too will pass. Your photos are gorgeous as always :) Here's to a better week ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much Denise - your words have made me feel less stupid! The week has started a bit better.....the camera will be exchanged but I don't think I'll have it before we leave for Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
  3. There is nothing else that could go wrong so things must get better for you. Your pressies were lovely and that new camera - wow, incredibly sharp and clear and the colours! I have serious camera envy! hope you get the replacement soon. I am going to save for a decent camera after I've saved enough for my retro radio. Have a wonderful holiday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you and I'll look forward to seeing that radio when you get it!

      Delete
  4. Oh Em, what a nightmare! Hope things improve, mind you after all that I think the only way is up anyway! Is that really your house? Green with envy! X

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's the top window of the house. We are very, very lucky to live here.

      Delete
  5. Happy Birthday Em! I know exactly how you feel about your camera because I never go anywhere without mine. Hope it all gets sorted out speedily. Sorry to hear about your car too. Hopefully Scotland will be lovely and you can put all this behind you. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The camera was sent back this morning but whether the replacement arrives in time is anybody's guess.

      Delete
  6. Hi Em Well that was a bit of a nightmare for you and I hope you do get your camera for going to Scotland. HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY. You certainly had lovely presents and good company etc. Just think of all the wonderful things that that surround you and be grateful. I love all your photographs and see the dogs running around the Moors. Great shots of birds, insects and flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I have to do is go out there and everything seems better Margaret - you're right.

      Delete
  7. Oh Em, I am so sorry that these things took the shine off your birthday. I hope that camera, car and Mum can be sorted out very soon. Talk to the insurance company because you might be able to work something out where you can keep the car and get it repaired, it has to be worth having the conversation with them. Your pictures all look lovely, regardless of the camera they are taken with, it is your eye and composition that really make the difference. It is great to see your garden, it looks as though you have lots of lovely things coming up. Take care there and just think of the happy birthday things like that lovely lovely radio and all that it means. Happy Birthday again. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Funnily enough I have done just that and we're waiting to hear what the settlement is and what they want us to buy it back for!

      Delete
  8. What a story I am so sorry to learn all of this. I know that eventually everything will resolve itself but that doesn't help at the time it is happening. I think that when I first found your blog there were a lot of Polo issues going on.
    Hope a camera does turn up in time for Scotland, but whatever happens have a lovely holiday. Belated birthday greetings to you.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I can't remember whether I've told you the story before, but I managed to reverse into a concrete pillar in a completely empty multi-storey car park. I'd had the whole cavernous floor to manoeuvre about in, AND had one of those devices in the back bumper that peeps if you are about to hit something..
    It's so easy to do but at least you are all right and that is the main thing.
    If you don't post beforehand have a really lovely time in Scotland. Look forward to hearing all about it. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for that Jess - it genuinely made me feel better!

      Delete
  10. Trigger is looking quite handsome ~ I can not say the same of that slug ... ugh .
    I will say however. that is a marvelous, up close and personal, macro shot of Mr. Sluggo.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh and I certainly meant to add sorry to hear about the down sides and the camera , I am hoping things will be back on the upswing for you very soon.

      Delete
    2. Mr Sluggo was seriously fat or I wouldn't have bothered. Obviously lichen is very fattening!

      Delete
  11. Quite a bit of a nightmare for you! I hope you are able to sort things out before you go to Scotland, but if not still have a wonderful time! Wonderful photos regardless, hope you can get a replacement or the Nikon fixed.
    Trigger does look great now that he has shed his winter hair! And I love the lambs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've got everything crossed for a replacement by Friday.....50/50 I reckon.

      Delete
  12. Your nature shots are wonderful. You really captured spring well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you - and with the dodgy camera too!

      Delete
  13. I hope the camera issues can be sorted with a good replacement--how utterly frustrating and unexpected. The car--oh dear! There are times when one has to be determined to find that which is good and lovely in spite of the bad/ugly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The sun has just come out unexpectedly so I'm feeling good. Worse things happen at sea. .

      Delete
  14. Oh crappity , crap, crap,merde...as we say in these parts. I once wrapped our car around a pillar in a parking lot...however I tried to get out,made it worse. Tiz life, my friend ,it doesn't make you a bad person...just human.
    Hugs....Jane xxxx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jane. It seems quite a few people have done the same! It really does help. I felt utterly destroyed by it but am much better now. Nothing I can do other than invent a time machine.

      Delete
  15. Sometimes we all wonder which way is up. Sorry to hear your nice Birthday kind of fell apart. Computers and cameras are the scourge of the world. At lest for me.
    I love your Birthday flowers ! Fabulous.
    The sweet radio and the fun day planed just shows how special you are.
    A belated Happy Birthday and let there be cake !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Parsnip. I find so much time these days is spent dealing with problems with technology. Ridiculous.

      Delete
  16. Sorry about the car and the camera. Those tulips are gorgeous, and what a nice boy your son is. Oddly enough, I really like the slug photo.

    ReplyDelete
  17. "Dartmoor Ramblings" has been included in Sites To See #371. Be assured that I hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2014/05/sites-to-see-371.html

    ReplyDelete
  18. Belated happy birthday Em. What thoughtful presents and lovely meetings with friends (they are the Best!) Glad the new camera takes cracking photos, but so sorry that it has to be replaced. Hoping for a miracle you will get a new one before you are off to Scotland (I am envious).

    Trigger's looking well and happy. It is perfectly OK for him to be a field ornament, as he serves his purpose in other ways (pony cuddles are THE best).

    I was once reversing into our driveway, with the driver's door open (pretty stupid - yeah!) looking over my shoulder and then there was the most tremendous crunch and I think you know what happened . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I do. At least the weather is beautiful. Let's hope we don't hit an Arctic spell when we go up to Scotland.

      Delete
  19. A belated Happy Birthday - so glad you had a good day with such wonderful presents (OB is so thoughtful). But I am so sorry to hear about the car and camera. The Nikon has taken some wonderful shots and I do hope you get a replacement sorted before Scotland. Have a lovely holiday and I hope the weather is good for you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm very impressed with the Nikon's performance, short though it might have been!

      Delete
  20. I am thinking about getting a new camera for my birthday! Hmmmmmm any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, other than the fact that it died after 24 hours, this Nikon was fab! It's a Nikon Coolpix P600. It was a good deal as it came with a case and 32GB memory card....almost an external hard drive's worth of memory!

      Delete
  21. Em do you want to borrow mine? No fancy lenses but a Canon EOS 350 or summat like it.Does the job well enough for me . I can take it to school, don't need it for the holidays.Let me know xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's really kind - thank you......I'll let you know. xx

      Delete
  22. So sorry about the car Em - next year at this time you will have got it in proportion - you weren't hurt and it will all sort itself out. But I know from my own experience that these incidents knock you for six.
    Beautiful white tulips and lovely radio - isn't it lovely to be part of a loving family?
    Have a lovely time in Scotland.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right Pat. As it gets further away proportion becomes clear. Thanks for your wise words.

      Delete
  23. Dear me what a week of contrasting emotions Em, what with the thoughtful presents and initial excitement with the camera, to the despair of various unfortunate calamities and misfortunes. I certainly feel your anguish as regards the camera, especially as the shots it took look fantastic, and I sincerely hope you can find a replacement before your trip to Scotland. Indeed I am really looking forward to hearing (& hopefully seeing) about your holiday to my home country :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I didn't realise you were from north of the border David. I shall feel even more responsibility to photograph it well!

      Delete
  24. Yes, sorry about the Polo Em. Not wishing to detract from you abilities as a photographer, but he new camera has certainly improved the clarity of these images about 500%.{:))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Fuji versus Nikon Roy plus a couple of hundred quid will help!

      Delete
  25. My little Nissan Micra (W reg) just had £450 spent on welding. I was asked if I wanted to bother. It's my best ever car, so reliable, so yes I did want to bother! I know it's not worth it financially, but I've got another year out of her now, so I totally understand your car grief!
    The camera's a bummer, too : (

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had Nissan Micras for years and only stopped when they changed the design from the one you have. Such a great car - I don't blame you for keeping it going!

      Delete
  26. Hope you get your camera fixed really fast!
    The other camera seems to be working very well though...
    Those tulips are beautiful....
    Cheers!
    Linda :o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The problem with the other one is the tiny memory card which only fits about 24 shots on it and I dont' have time to source one with bigger storage. No zoom either of course and I was hoping for some serious birds in Scotland!

      Delete
  27. Belated Happy Birthday Em, I am sorry to hear of your series of disasters. I've done stupid car damage too, and wandered around for days with a loop going around in my head saying "I don't believe it. How could I have done that," and a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. The camera will be worth the wait - those shots were so sharp - the pickles on the gorse were dangerous! Enjoy your holiday, with or without the camera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know that sick feeling! Thanks - I really will try. x

      Delete
  28. Em, I do feel sorry, such things shouldn't happen on a birthday. But your photos are as beautiful as always :)
    Marielle

    ReplyDelete
  29. So sorry to hear about your car and camera. We have problem with cameras not working on holiday so I can appreciate how frustrating you must feel. I'm glad you had a good birthday. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do feel lost without one. I saw the cuckoo again today and I could have spat blood! x

      Delete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.