THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

24 April 2014

MEETING THE RUSTY DUCKS


I'm sure most of you will recognise these Rusty Ducks and possibly remember that Jessica, of http://www.rustyduck.net/ fame, came to see me a few months ago. Today was my turn and we had a lovely day pottering round the home of those ducks. Something went seriously awry with my camera as, when I got home, the four duck portraits I took had disappeared. Jess very kindly sent a couple through.....I've cropped them a bit because I just can't leave things alone. They're even more gorgeous in the flesh, or metal I suppose. I didn't take many pictures because I was too busy admiring the fabulous garden; the land is so different from where we are. We saw Marsh/Willow Tits (moving too fast to tell which and this photo isn't a lot of use) one of which I managed to snap:


When Jess came here, I served her bottom-of-the-fridge soup and a roll from the Co-op. In return, I ate a fabulous salad which included chicory, salmon and toasted walnuts. I was well and truly put to shame - delicious.

On the drive home I saw a few things that caught my eye. This lion was on top of a gate post:


Even better close up:



I think there may be a well in this little building. Too much traffic to go and have a proper look and I needed to get back to meet OB off the school bus:


I took this of Dartmoor in the distance; a view I rarely see:


Here are a few more pictures from this week. 

This morning I saw this pony snoozing:


So did Jack:


Yesterday I went looking for Orchids in the marsh as I do every year.....


No Orchids but I did see this beautiful Wheatear. A bit far away but those markings are so stunning. The original meaning of Wheatear, as I may have mentioned last year, was 'White Arse', which is evident here:


Jack was good with sheep; he's getting better. 



The garden is starting to look okay at last with a few things beginning to flower. 

Yellow Archangel:


Two lovely Lungworts, one deep blue and purple........


...........the other orangey pink:


Forget me not:


Geranium Phaeum:


This Robin was in for a treat:


The next three were taken on my phone, so apologies for any quality issues.

Fighty dogs:


A foal at last! Not seen it since but at least there's one out there: 


And sun-loving Jack finding a hot spot in the sitting room:


The weekend is nearly here already with Easter a distant memory. If I don't manage to post before next week, which is quite likely given the shape of the calendar, I hope you have a great weekend. So, until next time, here are those gorgeous rusty ducks again.


36 comments:

  1. Those ducks always remind me of the Gormley men on Crosby beach

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful post today. I love the very fluffy sheep !

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your pictures tell the story nicely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. How wonderful to meet the home of the Rusty Ducks and catch up with Jess again, what a shame you had problems with the camera. Those are beautiful images from your garden the flowers are so crisp and I am envious of you capturing the robin with it's treat! Have a great weekend. Sarah x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had the same problem again today Sarah which si a bit of a worry as I've said I'll sell it to a friend after the significant birthday.....I think a better one may be coming my way....x

      Delete
  5. Always nice to hear of blogging friends getting together. Your photos always delight me. This has been another enjoyable visit. Thanks Em :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's a shame we can't meet the blogging friends over the pond Denise!

      Delete
  6. Some lovely pics here Em. Glad you had a great time with Jess. I am going to be in Dartmoor next week. I don't think I'll have the car but hopefully we can squeeze in a coffee somehow? I'll email you xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Do! Perhaps I can meet you in your lunch break or something. x

      Delete
  7. Thats a good shot of the Wheatear Em. I rarely get to see them.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope to get some better ones soon but it's a start.

      Delete
  8. I'm glad you had such a great lunch with Jessica, Em. The Wheatear photo is terrific, I haven't seen one for ages. I love all the other photos, too, especially the flowers. I'm looking out for Yellow Archangel and have only seen a little bit in flower, here. I must go out and look for some orchids, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We are inundated with the Archangel. I keep having to tear it out as it tries to choke everything else. You're welcome to some if you want it!

      Delete
  9. Good stuff Em :-) Love the Wheatear photo, these handsome birds are now back on the North York Moors too, and stunning pics of Dartmoor as always. I particularly like the pic of the foal and mare as the light is simply gorgeous.

    Hope you and your family are well and kindest regards :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Amazing that the one you like of the foal was taken with my phone! How things have come on. I nearly didn't publish that one but I'm glad I did now.

      Delete
  10. isn't it great to enjoy some color after the long winter? i love your photos. i so enjoy stopping by to see everything... the horse resting in the field, the two sheep pics & that wonderful wheatear are my favorite images... have a great day~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too and I agree - the sudden colour cheers the soul.

      Delete
  11. I love the snoozing pony image Em. Great the garden is coming to life, mine is in full swing in sunny warm Brixham. Have a good weekend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope the garden will get there eventually and at least the hedge is beginning to green up; it looks SO awful in winter.

      Delete
  12. Snippet looks rather fierce in that picture!
    Many thanks for coming over, it was nice for me just to potter and relax for a day too. Nose back to the grindstone today. Just a short break to finish off your delicious cake! x

    ReplyDelete
  13. I just love these photos, especially the flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's just nice to have some flowers after so long Terry!

      Delete
  14. Love the photo of the moors from afar. Yes a different view. Loved the Wheatear, beautiful bird! And the gorgeous sheep photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do love sheep. I wish we had the land to keep a few.

      Delete
  15. Hi Em
    Oh I really love your landscape photos, they are so powerfull and somehow romantic. Just great! Lucky you, I do a little bit envy you for going to Scotland. We were in a lovely Cottage at Loch Carron last year, it was fabulous. Where in Scotland are you planning to go?
    Have a great Weekend and give your boys a soft cuddle from Switzerland ;o)
    Alex

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I keep forgetting the name of the loch we're going to.....er.....quick look at the emails.....Loch Goil. I bet I've forgotten again by this afternoon! Hope you have a lovely weekend too.

      Delete
  16. Hi there, just catching up. Glad that you have been having some nice times, but sad that Westward Ho didn't quite meet up to your hopes. It sounds as though you had fun with the rusty ducks though! Hope that you are having a good weekend. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm having serious catching up issues - glad I'm not alone!

      Delete
  17. LOVE the Rusty Ducks ! and the pic you caught of Snippet baring his teeth in play. xx

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.