The garden is looking particularly good at the moment thanks, I think, to everything that should have been flowering weeks ago, doing so at the same time as those which would have been out and fresh now anyway. I try and keep the garden as native as possible, not just for ethical reasons but because, frankly, anything else struggles up here. Those who have been reading this for a while will know my main planting area is a north facing border in deep, dry shade, which is a bit of a challenge but is, after three years, flourishing after many failures. Things that do particularly well are the uncultivated Columbines (Aquilegias), Hardy Geraniums and Solomon's Seal, but I'm finding new things all the time. Here are some pictures. The Columbine above was in a new little bed I've managed to dig by the gate, which gets a little bit more of the sun in the day; an hour and a half or so!
A lovely deep coloured Lungwort
Heartleaf (Brunnera Macrophylla)
I found these two skeletal Hydrangea petals lying in the leaf litter
Dusky Cranesbill (Geranium Phaeum)
White Dusky (not at all!) Cranesbill (Geranium Phaeum Album)
This Geranium is supposed to be evergreen but it doesn't look great over winter I can tell you!
Great Masterwort (Astrantia Major)
This Geranium grows EVERYWHERE up here but I don't know its name
Billy's Button/Water Avens
Again, I don't know the name of this Cranesbill....low growing deep cut leaves...any offers?
Guelder Rose beginning to flower in the hedge
Three of the Alder in my purple and green stripy hedge have failed AGAIN this year having been replaced by the hedging company. I've had to stuff in some willow whips to fill in the gaps so no photos of it yet; it's not going well. The best laid plans...
Trigger is currently sporting a silver Duct Tape covered hind hoof having 'stubbed his toe' according to the vet. He's made a huge hole in it and I'm having to put a hot poultice on and administer antibiotic spray, all of which is held on with the tape. This morning's gale force winds did not make it easy and the Dartmoor Madams went galloping off in fear of the bits of tape flapped around whilst I attempted to fix them around a skittish Trigger's foot. So glad no one saw my efforts!
Until next time, here's a bee on the Billy's Button, blurry from buzzing.