THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

8 December 2012

ICE PUDDLES


Most mornings over the last week, the puddles have been frozen. The patterns in the ice are stunning, if a little difficult to photograph. You have to get quite low down to get the light to catch them properly, otherwise the patterns become invisible. This first lot  are from a morning where the previous night had been extremely cold; it was minus seven at dawn. The temperature dropped very, very quickly, and it seems to have created totally different crystal formations from the night that followed where it was only minus one at dawn. Here are the first ones. I some cases the ice was pretty thick.





This next lot are from this morning and the ice was wafer thin and flimsy. By 9.00am it had virtually all melted. 








Yesterday evening I was on the book stall at the school Christmas fair. We sold lots but there were still boxes left. It was a great success all round and the money raised will go towards trips for the children next term. It has put me in a much more Christmasy mood and we're off to buy a tree tomorrow in Exeter. I've done most of my wrapping and sent off the parcels I need to so now it's just festive cooking and decorating.

 A few more pictures from our walks; just a few I promise!


Betty looking slimline in the sunshine. Still not sure if she's in foal yet


Frosty grass in the sunshine


Number ten dozing in the sun this morning




This crow is the first living thing I've seen other than ponies for days out on the moor. It's pretty bleak out there at the moment!

Tomorrow is set to be lovely, if cold, again. I really shouldn't listen to the forecast as it's often completely wrong for us. So, until next time, I'll leave you with Snippet's reflection in one of those icy puddles.



8 comments:

  1. Absolutely stunning. Those first ice puddles look like something organic..

    It really does get cold up there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful !
    Love Snippets reflection in the ice.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  3. Em, your photography is breath-taking! Thank you, it is such a different landscape from anything I have ever seen, your posts are a delight. Thank you,

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ice puddles are wonderful abstract designs!

    Love all the Moor photos. We are having a warm spell (70 degrees) but is suppose to get colder this next week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was cold before I got to your post - now I'm shivering, looking at the Ice Art! Such lovely patterns. We get ice on the inside on the windows here, when it gets really cold, and a couple of winters our busy fast-flowing river has almost frozen solid - just a foot-wide strip of racing water down the centre. Brrr. Your temps have been much lower than ours.

    ReplyDelete
  6. RD - The patterns are amazing aren't they. So swirly! It gets bitter up here.

    Parsnip - I like that one too!

    Virginia - So lovely to hear from you - it's been ages. I hope you're well over there on the other side of the world.

    Gail - They'd make lovely fabric designs I think. Very jealous of your 70 degrees!

    BB - We've never had the river freeze so far, or the stream come to that, so I take that as being very lucky after your comment!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks John although nature has to take the credit really...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.