THE RAMBLINGS OF A STRUGGLING ARTIST ON LIFE WITH TWO TERRIERS, A PONY WITH ISSUES AND OTHER WILDLIFE AND BIRDS THAT CROSS OUR PATH

26 December 2012

PENS FOR CHRISTMAS SO A DRAWING OF SNIPPET


I had asked for Rotring pens for Christmas and they were duly given. I used to draw with them all the time when I was younger and then as an architecture student in very much pre-CAD days, they were part of my essential tools. At one point as a pretentious teenager, I used one as my writing pen. Up till now I have found Snippet virtually impossible to get right with a pencil but today I feel I've cracked him. I can't be precious with a pen and I have to be confident with the line. I might put him on Etsy and see how he goes....you never know! The original is going up in the kitchen I think. I'll definitely be doing more; I've missed it. Much quicker than pencil too!

On Christmas day, I struggled out in the rain with Snip and found every available pony out there in frisky mood. I managed a few pictures:











Christmas was lovely. Origami boy had a great time, despite it just being the three of us. He's getting a bit bored now and I need to get organised in the friend visiting department before he goes stir crazy. It's been raining all day and we have eaten nothing but leftover chicken (we all hate turkey), stuffing and chocolate. I did make a lovely clementine cake on Christmas Eve but it's all gone now so we'll all be suffering from scurvy by tomorrow. Sprouts for breakfast I think. So, until next time, a rare clear sky this morning. It didn't last. 





18 comments:

  1. That's a GREAT drawing of Snippet! You must need to be confident to go straight in with a pen.

    Lousy weather here too. I can feel the pounds piling on. Tomorrow we will be out walking even in the rain.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very unlike our world but very beautiful.
    Loved the ponies.

    Snippet is gorgeous!

    I used to use Rotring pens (burnt sienna ink!)
    all the time for both drawings and writing poetry.
    But they used to get bunged up very often.
    Still the best for drawing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful drawing of Snippet! Great pens, haven't had them in a coons age. Have been using Micron pens of late.

    Lot's of rain here too but now it's dropped off cold and windy.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never used Rotring pens. I used ink pens with the different pen points that always clumped up and where super expensive... can't remember the name right now. They were so frustrating that I must have deleted them from my not so great memory bank. Maybe Koh-l-nor Rapido ? drove me crazy. But this is over 40 years ago.
    Love the snippet drawing, so sweet and it seems to capture his spirt...what I think from reading your blog... what he is like.

    cheers, parsnip

    ReplyDelete
  5. youve captured Snippet perfectly! well done!!

    Leanne x
    talesofsimpledays.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Rusty D - My waterproof clothes no longer seem to be waterproof in these conditions. When is it going to stop? 'Enjoy' your walk!

    Elizabeth - I know that burnt sienna ink! I used it too. Very difficult to come by now. I used to mix my own colours when I couldn't get hold of it.

    Gail - I'll have a look at Micron pens. What I'd give for cold and windy minus the rain!

    Parsnip - They were certainly called Rapidographs when my mum lent me hers in the late 60's/early 70's so there's some connection there.

    Leanne - Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Really love the drawing of Snippet - so full of life and character :) Great photos too of the ponies.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Em, thank you for your well wishes; I am feeling much better today. Love Snippet in Pen ! I have never heard of a Mandarin Cake, pray do tell? :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ragged R - Thank you; I'm so pleased people like it!

    Cindy - I think I need to go to your recipe site for this one or perhaps I'll put it on a separate page like the chickpea one....

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the drawing of Snippet, I used to use Rotring pens in archaeology drawing, sections, pottery etc...
    When I was very young, 17 I think, worked in a drawing office with pens you filled with ink between the two wings (difficult to explain) but messy if you blobbed the enormous drawings that were traced...

    ReplyDelete
  11. I don;t like the sound of those wings...It was bad enough filling the reusable rapidograph cartridges from the ink bottle!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Snippet looks just like himself in you pen portrait!

    The New Forest ponies here are equally wet and seem to rush about and play-fight to keep themselves warm and active.

    It is SO wet underfoot here. The ground is saturated again and another night of rain is heading our way.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't it awful! Trigger is ruining his rather small Paddock, despite his tiny unshod hooves. I think I'm going to have to fence a section of it off so it can recover.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the drawing of snips!
    He realy does have a smile like that, and as for his Hi 5's!' ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. He likes doing them with you best! x

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm with Cindy, recipe please for the mandarin cake!!!

    Loved the drawing of Snippet.

    Had a question for you. Do the ponies know you well, as you seem to be able to get pretty close to them?

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  17. That drawing would make a lovely Christmas card x

    ReplyDelete
  18. Gill - The honest answer is that I don't know as I've never seen them with anyone else but, since they have me stalking them on a daily basis, I imagine they probably tolerate me more than most! They always see Snippet first and I think he's more recognisable than me. They relax as soon as they see him, unless they're one of the foals that like playing with him!

    John - that's a good idea although I may do one next year with something cheesy attached like a droopy Santa hat....maybe not actually.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving a comment. It's great to read them and I will always try to reply.